The touchpad on your HP Spectre X360 is quite sensitive and could glitch for some reason. Some users have reported that it will stop working or not respond at all. In this article, we’ll show you how to fix touchpad issues on the HP Spectre X360.
If you are having trouble with the touchpad on your HP Spectre X360, then this article is for you.
The Spectre X360 is one of the most popular laptops from HP. It’s a great option for students, professionals, and gamers.
For those who want an ultra-slim laptop that can be used as a tablet, the Spectre X360 is a good choice.
However, one of the common problems with this laptop is the touchpad not working properly.
There are many ways to troubleshoot and fix this issue. In this article, we will show you three simple solutions that will help you solve your problem.
Step-by-step guide on how to fix touchpad issues on the HP Spectre X360
- Open the Settings app from your Start menu or Start screen, select “Devices,” and select “Mouse & touchpad.”
- Click the “Additional mouse options” link under Related Settings on the right side of the Mouse & touchpad window.
- This will open the classic Mouse Properties window, where you should click the last tab, labeled ELAN or Device Settings.
- In this tab, you can click the “Reset” button to reset all gestures to their defaults, or click each individual item to disable it. You may need to check for updated drivers from your laptop’s support page in order to get full functionality back.
1. Open the HP Support Assistant by navigating to it in your app’s window. This will launch a new HP browser window.
2. Go to Updates and check for new updates. If you find a new driver, proceed to the next step. If there isn’t one, proceed to the next method.
3. Click on Download and Install. Once you’re done, restart your laptop.
2.If that doesn’t work, turn off the touchpad and put it back on. Tap twice in the top left corner of the touchpad to do so. Leave it for a few seconds, then turn it back on. Retest.
If the first method doesn’t work, hard reset the HP Spectre X360. HP Support actually recommends doing this, so it’s not just me.
1. Unplug the laptop from the power supply and disconnect any peripherals. This includes USB mouse, keyboards, and other devices.
2. While your computer is on, hold down the power button for about 15 seconds till it goes off.
3. Plug in the laptop charger and turn it on. The laptop should restart normally, and the touchpad should work again.
Most times, one of these three options will undoubtedly resolve the TouchPad issue. If they don’t work, you can go to the HP TouchPad page for more information, or you can contact HP directly.
Why is my touchpad not working?
It could be that the touchpad has been disabled using a Function key combination on the keyboard, or it’s turned off in your computer’s settings or preferences. Also check to see if an external input device has disabled the touchpad or try to update the device drivers.
1.Check that the touchpad isn’t being disabled by a function key.
Look for a touchpad-controlling Function key. Many laptops include a function key combination that toggles the touchpad on and off (press the Function key plus an F-key atop the keyboard). It’s relatively simple to accidentally disable the touchpad, especially if you’re trying to access a nearby function key combination.
Look for a touchpad control on your keyboard’s Function key row, which is located at the top of the keyboard. If you see it, try pressing Function + that key to toggle it back on. On some laptops,you may have to press the windows key instead of a function key, so give that a shot as well.
2. Check if another accessory has disabled the touchpad.
Temporarily disable Bluetooth on your laptop to ensure that another wireless controller isn’t disabling the touchpad.
If you connect another accessory to your laptop, particularly a controller such as a mouse, tablet, or external touchpad, it may disable your built-in touchpad. To avoid this, unplug any USB devices that may be interfering with your touchpad and disable Bluetooth to disconnect wireless accessories.
In Windows, go to Start, then Settings, then Bluetooth & Devices. Finally, swipe the button to the left to turn off Bluetooth.
On a Mac, go to the menu bar and select Apple, then System Preferences. Turn Bluetooth off by clicking Bluetooth.
Go to settings, you may find out that the touchpad has been disabled.
It’s also possible that the touchpad has been turned off in the settings. In Windows, go to Start and then Settings to check. Then, select Bluetooth & Devices, followed by Touchpad. By swiping the button to the right, you’ve turned off Bluetooth.
If the touchpad is enabled but acting strangely, you can also investigate the other options on this page to ensure that the touchpad isn’t misconfigured.
Similarly, on a MacBook, the trackpad may be disabled. It could be disabled because it detects an external mouse, or it could be turned off when Mouse Keys is enabled. In Mac’s Accessibility controls, you can easily check the trackpad settings and turn it back on.
How do I update the drivers on my HP Spectre X360?
Updating drivers is a well-known method of improving the security and performance of any computer or device. The HP Spectre X360 is no exception. Drivers are constantly updated, providing security updates, bug fixes, and performance and feature enhancements.
All of these are excellent reasons to keep your laptop up to date. The BIOS can also help with performance. Here’s how to update all of the drivers and BIOS on an HP Spectre X360.
HP Spectre X360 driver and BIOS update
HP does an excellent job of supporting their products, and the refreshed HP Spectre X360 is no exception. It has its own support page that lists all available drivers, apps, and updates for the machine. You can use this page or Windows Update; the choice is yours, but doing both is recommended.
1. Switch on your HP Spectre X360.
2. To access Settings, click the Windows 10 start button and then the cog icon.
3. Go to the Update & Security and Advanced tabs.
4. Select the box next to Provide me with updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows. Depending on what HP makes available to Windows, this will also update audio, video, and other drivers.
5. Return to Update & Security and choose Check for Updates.
Allow Windows to download and install any updates that it discovers. Depending on when you last did this, it could take as little as a minute or as long as 25-30 minutes.
7. Open the HP Spectre X360 support page. Work your way through the list, updating anything that requires it. BIOS should be the last step.
8. Choose BIOS, then download and install the update. The BIOS update will almost certainly necessitate a reboot or two. This is completely normal.
To keep everything up to date, repeat these steps frequently or automate them.
FAQs – How to troubleshoot and fix touchpad issues on the hp Spectre X360
How do I unstick my touchpad on my HP laptop?
Try double-tapping the upper left corner of the touchpad to disable or enable it. If your HP laptop supports this feature, your touchpad will resume normal operation.
Your HP Spectre X360 touchpad could malfunction and frustrate you, thankfully, we’ve shown you how to fix the touchpad glitch on your computer.
Alternatively, you could use a mouse. It does basically the same thing as a touchpad.